Monday October 21 2013 - Beyond the MSDS: A Workshop for Choosing Safer Alternatives to Toxic Chemicals
Location: TURI Library, Wannalancit Building, Suite 501
Date: Monday, October 21, 2013
Time: 11:30 am to 2:00 pm
Solvents, cleaners, catalysts, and other chemicals can contribute to cancer, asthma, neurological disease, birth defects, and other health problems. But safer alternatives often exist. This free, 2 ½ hour, informal interactive workshop presented by the Toxics Use Reduction Institute (TURI) will give you a hands-on opportunity to use online databases and other tools for choosing the safest chemical alternatives. If you use chemicals, we encourage you to attend.
What you will learn:
• The basics of toxicology, and how chemicals can affect your health and safety
• How chemicals enter and potentially impact the environment
• How to use - and understand the limitations of - information found on Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), which are available for every chemical
• How to determine whether something may be a potentially safer alternative to a toxic or hazardous substance you now use
• How TURI can help you to research chemical hazards and safer options
Who should attend?
• UMass Lowell instructional and research faculty
• Researchers – from Principal Investigators to research assistants and student interns
• Staff who are responsible for laboratories, facilities, or employee safety where chemicals are used
This workshop is free but registration is necessary. Space is limited, REGISTER NOW.