From Material Safety Data Sheet
|Salt||Chemical name: Sodium Chloride|
|Inhalation:||Inhalation of dust may cause mild irritation to mucous membranes, nose and throat. Symptoms may include coughing, dryness and sore throat.|
|Ingestion:||Very large doses can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and prostration. Dehydration and congestion occur in most internal organs. Hypertonic salt solutions can produce violent inflammatory reactions in the gastrointestinal tract.|
|Skin Contact:||May irritate damaged skin; absorption can occur with effects similar to those via ingestion.|
|Eye Contact:||Causes irritation, redness, and pain. (For salt concentrations greater than the normal saline present.)|
|Chronic Exposure:||No data|
|Acute Effects:||No data|
|Aggravation of Pre-existing Conditions:||No data|
|Other information:|| |
Oral rat LD50: 3000 mg/kg.
Inhalation rat LC50: > 42 gm/m3 /1H
Skin rabbit LD50: > 10 gm/kg. Investigated as a mutagen, reproductive effector
What does this mean?
|Avoid breathing in dust from or crystals of salt, as it may irritate your respiratory tract. Ingesting large amounts of salt can cause a host of concerns with your gastrointestinal tract. Avoid drinking highly salty solutions or eating too much salt directly. The LD50 (lethal dose) information indicates that solutions with more than 3000 mg/kg are considered lethal. A dose of 3000 mg/kg would be the equivalent of approximately 10 ounces of salt in a 200 pound person.|