Reflecting the potent hazards posed by acrylonitrile, it is part of six different lists of toxic chemicals that have been established under separate U.S. legislative authorities:
- Clean Air Act — Hazardous Air Pollutant and Regulated Toxic, Explosive, Or Flammable Substances List
- Clean Water Act — Priority Pollutants List
- Comprehensive Environmental Responsibility, Compensation and Liability Act (popularly known as “Superfund”) — Extremely Hazardous Substances List
- Occupational and Safety Health Act — Air Contaminants List
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act — Hazardous Constitutents List
- Superfund Amendments Reauthorization Act — Toxics Release Inventory
In addition, the U.S. FDA regulates acrylonitrile as a food additive because acrylonitrile may leach from plastic packaging into food.