More Resources for a Pesticide-Free Lawn
Did You Know That:
- If a lawn product lists an EPA registration number, then it contains toxic ingredients.
- According to the EPA, many inert ingredients are also toxic.
- Pesticides are mixed with fertilizer in products called weed and feed.
- State law prohibits the use of carcinogenic pesticides in Massachusetts schools.
- The province of Quebec and over 70 municipalities in Canada, including Halifax, Montreal, and Vancouver, have banned cosmetic use of pesticides on lawns.
- Pesticides can persist in lawns and soil longer than the posted 24-72 hours.
- Many garden centers now carry some organic products - just ask. The more demand from you, the better the selection will be.
For More Information....
Overview and fact sheets on pesticide hazards and alternatives:
Pesticides and Playing Fields
Organic Fertilizer Fact Sheet
To look up health effects of a pesticide:
To find an organic landscaper in your community: