Thursday May 16 2013 - TURI Greener Materials Research SymposiumUMass Lowell Emerging Technology and Innovation Center Atrium
40 University Ave
Lowell, MA 01854
This event is full but if you are from a Massachusetts company, please contact Pam Eliason, email@example.com, 978-934-3142.
Please join us for an interactive research symposium that connects UMass Lowell researchers with Massachusetts industry representatives. You’ll have the opportunity to exchange ideas, learn about safer alternatives research, brainstorm new research topics and tour the Emerging Technology and Innovation Center.
TURI Greener Materials Research Symposium
May 16, 12:30 to 5 p.m.
Saab Emerging Technology and Innovation Center Atrium
12:30 - Poster Viewing and Light Lunch
1:00 - Welcoming remarks and goals of the program – Dr. Michael Ellenbecker, Director, Toxics Use Reduction Institute
1:10 - Overview of TURI’s Academic Research Program – Pam Eliason, Industry Research Program Manager, Toxics Use Reduction Institute
1:20 - Overview of Funded Projects and Research Interests
- Safer bio-derived surfactants – Dr. Ramaswamy Nagarajan, Associate Professor, Plastics Engineering, UMass Lowell
- Safer disinfectants and real time assessment of efficacy – Dr. Nancy Goodyear, Assistant Professor, Clinical Laboratory Sciences, UMass Lowell
- Safer adhesives and resins – Dr. Daniel Schmidt, Associate Professor, Plastics Engineering, UMass Lowell
- Safer coatings for cosmetic nail applications – Dr. Emmanuel Reynaud, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, UMass Lowell
- Alternative processing conditions for nano-based coatings – Dr. Margaret Sobkowicz-Kline, Assistant Professor, Plastics Engineering, UMass Lowell
- Alternatives to styrene in polyester resins – Dr. Christopher Hansen, Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, UMass Lowell
2:50 - Poster Viewing – visit individual posters for more details on research presented and to discuss the research with students and faculty
3:20 - Connecting UMass Lowell and Industry - George Kachen, Director, Commercial Ventures and Intellectual Property at UMass Lowell
3:40 - Small Group Discussions – Exploring ideas for new industry/research partnerships
4:15 - Tour the Saab Emerging Technology and Innovation Center
5:00 - Adjourn
The event also includes a poster session and round-table discussions about research challenges and needs to stimulate partnerships between Massachusetts industry and UMass Lowell researchers.
TURI will announce this year’s request for proposals for academic grant funding of up to $25,000 per project. The funding requires partnerships with industry. Researchers from any UMass college or department are encouraged to apply to advance the development of economically viable materials and technologies that are safer for the environment and human health.
A light lunch will be served.
For more information, please contact Pam Eliason, 978-934-3142, firstname.lastname@example.org.