Thursday August 23 2018 - Beyond the Safety Data Sheet: Finding Information on Chemical Hazards
50 Hall Road
Sturbridge, MA 01566
Thursday, August 23, 2018 from 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Solvents, cleaners, catalysts, and other chemicals can contribute to cancer, asthma, neurological disease, birth defects, and other health problems. But safer alternatives often exist. This free, 3 hour, informal, interactive workshop presented by the Toxics Use Reduction Institute (TURI) will give you a hands-on opportunity to use online databases and other tools that give you more current and complete information on chemicals, and help you identify safer substitutes. If you use chemicals, we encourage you to attend.
What You Will Learn
- The basics of toxicology, and how chemicals can affect your health and safety
- How chemicals enter and potentially impact the environment
- How to use - and understand the limitations of - information found on Safety Data Sheets (SDS), which are available for every chemical
- How to determine whether something may be a potentially safer alternative to a toxic or hazardous substance you now use
- How TURI can help you to research chemical hazards and safer options
Who Should Attend
- Toxics Use Reduction Planners
- Facility staff responsible for laboratories, maintenance, or employee safety where chemicals are used
- Product designers and engineers
- EH&S managers
- Supply chain managers and procurement specialists
- R&D scientists
MassDEP has approved this event for 3 credits.
You can attend the workshop free of charge but registration is necessary. Space is VERY limited.
Lunch will be provided.