Thursday March 30 2017 - Beyond the [M]SDS Workshop
Thursday March 30, 2017
11:30 AM - 2:30 PM
600 Suffolk Street
3rd Floor - Room 305
Lowell, MA 01854-2866
Solvents, cleaners, catalysts, and other chemicals can contribute to cancer, asthma, neurological disease, birth defects, and other health problems. But safer alternatives often exist. This free, 2 ½ hour, informal, interactive workshop presented by the Toxics Use Reduction Institute (TURI) will give you a hands-on opportunity to use online databases and other tools for choosing the safest chemical alternatives. If you use chemicals, we encourage you to attend.
What You Will Learn
- The basics of toxicology, and how chemicals can affect your health and safety
- How chemicals enter and potentially impact the environment
- How to use -- and understand the limitations of -- information found on [Material] Safety Data Sheets ([M]SDS), which are available for every chemical
- How to determine whether something may be a potentially safer alternative to a toxic or hazardous substance you now use
- How TURI can help you to research chemical hazards and safer options
Who Should Attend
- UMass Lowell instructional and research faculty
- Researchers - from Principal Investigators to research assistants and student interns
- Staff who are responsible for laboratories, facilities, or employee safety where chemicals are used
You can attend the workshop free of charge but registration is necessary. Space is limited.
Lunch will be provided.