Organic Grass Care
TURI released a series of case studies highlighting communities that use organic maintenance to improve and build healthy grass playing fields. Each of these case studies provide detailed information on playable hours, maintenance practices, and costs.
Three Massachusetts Communities Care for Athletic Fields Organically
- Denison University, Granville, OH - December 2021
- Communities in SW Pennsylvania - April 2021
- The Field Fund in Martha's Vineyard - December 2020
- Marblehead's organic management - July 2019
- Springfield's organic management - June 2019
Across Massachusetts, communities and homeowners are making the choice to manage grass organically, rather than using chemical fertilizers and pesticides.
Organically managed grass looks great and is a viable and cost effective option. TURI has supported a variety of projects related to organic grass care, including municipalities transitioning acres of fields from pesticide use to organic.
TURI has also compiled information on organic maintenance techniques from experts and successful communities into a guide to help communities build an organic management plan for athletic fields and lawns.