How to Understand TURAData reports
Definition of Terms
The rules that govern what companies must report are very specific about the meaning of terminology used in a TUR report:
Manufactured means to produce, prepare, import or compound a toxic or hazardous substance. Note: This definition includes the "coincidental" manufacture of a substance during manufacturing, waste treatment or fuel combustion.
Processed means the preparation of a toxic or hazardous substance, including, without limitation, a toxic substance contained in a mixture or trade name product, after its manufacture, for distribution in commerce:
- in the same form or physical state, or in a different form or physical state from, that in which it was received by the toxics user so preparing such a substance; or
- as part of an article containing the toxic or hazardous substance.
Otherwise Used means any use of a toxic substance that is not covered by the terms 'manufacture' or 'process' and includes use of a toxic substance contained in a mixture or trade name product.
Total Use is the amount of the chemical either manufactured, processed or otherwise used at a facility, in other words, the sum total of the three uses listed above.
Generated Byproduct means all nonproduct outputs of toxic or hazardous substances generated by a production unit, prior to handling, transfer, treatment or release.
Shipped in Product means any toxic or hazardous substances that leave the facility as product or as part of an article containing the toxic or hazardous substance.
A Release is a discharge of a toxic chemical to the environment. This includes releases to the air, either as a stack or fugitive emission, discharges to bodies of water such as streams or lakes, or discharges to the ground or underground.
A Transfer is solid or liquid waste that is carted away from the manufacturing site.
Changes that Affect TURAData Over Time
- Industry segments have been added
- Chemicals have been added or subtracted
- Companies move their locations
- Companies change ownership or manufacturing strategies
- Companies change what chemicals are used or how they use them