P2OASys Tool to Compare Materials
TURI developed the Pollution Prevention Options Assessment System (P2OASys) tool to help companies determine whether the TUR options they are considering may have unforeseen negative environmental, worker or public health impacts.
P2OASys allows companies to assess the potential environmental, worker, and public health impacts of alternative technologies aimed at reducing toxics use. The goal is more comprehensive and systematic thinking about the potential hazards posed by current and alternative processes identified during the TUR planning process. The tool can assist companies:
- Systematically examine the potential environmental and worker impacts of options, examining the total impacts of process changes, rather than simply those of chemical changes
- Compare options with current processes based on quantitative and qualitative factors.
Embedded formulae in P2OASys provide a numerical hazard score for the company's current process and identified options, which can then be combined with other information sources and professional expertise to make decisions on adoption of alternatives.
Companies input both quantitative and qualitative data on the chemical toxicity, ecological effects, physical properties, and changes in work organization likely as a result of the proposed option.
The assessment tool is used by the TURI Laboratory to assist companies in finding safer cleaning alternatives. See an example of how the lab is using P2OASys.
- P2OASys worksheet this is a macro-enabled Excel spreadsheet
- P2OASys manual for setting up and runing the tool
- Data collection spreadsheet for use in capturing relevant data for alternatives
- Locating data - suggested locations to help collect data for P2OASys
- L-M-H spreadsheet - for use in assessing low, medium and high values
- Examples from Massachusetts companies