Massachusetts Chemical Fact Sheets describe the hazards, exposure routes, uses and alternatives, and regulatory context for selected chemicals.
TURI has worked with companies from many industry sectors, demonstrating innovative techniques for reducing the use of toxic chemicals. A number of related reports are presented here.
- Energy Conservation, Texas Instruments, 2002
- Alternative Coating Systems, Intelicoat, 2002.
- Cleaner Technology Demonstration Sites Program Summary of Events In 2002
- Environmental Management System Workgroup Surface Finishing Sector Hosted By Photofabrication Engineering, Inc., 2000.
- Elimination of Acid and Lead in Wire Strand Annealing and Galvanizing Riverdale Mills Corporation, 2000
These reports and articles were written, researched or edited by staff of the Toxics Use Reduction Institute at the University of Massachusetts Lowell.
- United Nations Environment Programme Global Chemicals Outlook
- How Developing Nations Can Protect Children From Hazardous Chemical Exposures While Sustaining Economic Growth
- Higher Hazard Substances Under the Massachusetts Toxics Use Reduction Act: Lessons From the First Four Years
- Supporting and growing the clean energy sector in Massachusetts
- Toxic substances in articles: the need for information
|Pollution Prevention Opportunities Assessment System: software tool for evaluation of hazards in the workplace Read more...|
|Overview of the Five Chemicals Alternatives Assessment Study. 2006. Read more...|
Greenlist Bulletin is TURI Library's free weekly update -- delivered to your desktop via email. Topics vary widely, and include innovative technologies, chemicals policy, pollution prevention, environmental health, and toxics alternatives.
TURI's Academic Research Program funds research into sustainable technologies at UMass Lowell
- Sustainable Routes to Non-Halogenated Flame Retardants Based on Phenolic Monomers. 2009.
- Green(er) PVC:The Development of Lead and Phthalate-Free Nanocomposite Formulations with Practical Utility. 2007.
- Improved Lead-Free Wire and Cable Insulation Performance Using Nanocomposites. 2006
- Assessing the Electrical Properties of Alternative Wire and Cable Coatings: Metallocene EPDM. 2004.
- Natural "Green" Dyes for the Textile Industry. 2003.
Tips to find safer cleaners, have a healthy lawn without using pesticides, improve indoor air quality, disinfect surfaces safely and effectively, replace TCE in manufacturing, and more..
Stories of how industry and business have reduced their use of toxic chemicals.
- Ace Cleaners in North Andover, Mass. - Eliminating the use of toxic chemicals in dry cleaning
- Best Neighborhood Care Dry Cleaner - Eliminating the use of toxic chemicals in dry cleaning
- Independent Plating, Worcester, Mass. - Trivalent Chromium Plating Conversion Case Study, 2012.
- Ophir Optics, North Andover, Mass. - Incorporating Toxics Use Reduction into Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma, 2011.
- Silver Hanger Cleaners, Bellingham, Mass. - Eliminating the use of toxic chemicals in dry cleaning